Intern - Confidential Computing (m/f/d)
Huawei's vision is to enrich life through communication. We are a fast growing and leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider.
Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services.
Huawei is active in more than 170 countries and has over 197,000 employees of which more than 80,000 are engaged in research and development (R&D). With us you have the opportunity to work in a dynamic, multinational environment with more than 150 nationalities worldwide.
Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 197,000 employees, Huawei is committed to develop the future information society and build a Better Connected World.
Huawei's Munich Research Center is responsible for advanced technology research, architectural development, design and strategic engineering of our products. Intelligent Cloud Technologies Laboratory in particular drives the R&D in cloud performance and cloud enabled Data-Ecosystem.
Security and privacy are paramount concerns of cloud customers when deploying their applications on public cloud platforms. We are recently forming a confidential computing team in the Intelligent Cloud Technologies Laboratory at Munich Huawei Research Center to design and build frameworks, tools, and systems to provide strong security and privacy guaranties to cloud customers. We are relying both hardware-based solutions (e.g., Intel SGX, Intel TDX, AMD SEV, ARM CCA, etc.) and software-based solutions (e.g., secure multiparty computation, homomorphic encryption, differential privacy, zero knowledge proofs, etc.).
We are now looking for an intern (6 months or more, starting as soon as possible) to join our mission. Your responsibilities will be very practical and range from high-level system design to low-level implementation of our confidential computing framework. You have many chances to collaborate with professors/experts in the confidential computing field.
You can select one of following topics (TEEs or Qingtian Enclave) to work with.
Confidential VM with TEEs:
- Study/Analyze TEEs technology, work with TEEs tools to bring up a QEMU image to deploy a secure VM.
- Develop a simple remote attestation framework support web interface for end users
- Integrate an encrypted VM with an encrypted storage, i.e., the application inside the VM can persist output data into the encrypted storage.
- Perform benchmarking to evaluate the performance when run applications in the encrypted VM and a non-encrypted VM.
Qingtian Enlcave (service of Huawei Cloud):
- Study/Analyze Qingtian enclave technology, work with Qingtian tools to create secure applications running inside Qingtian enclaves.
- Analyze the bottlenecks and improve the Qingtian tools.
- Develop a simple remote attestation framework support web interface for end users.
- Perform benchmarking to evaluate the performance when run applications in the .Qingtian enclave and a non-encrypted VM.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor or Master Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in computer architecture and operating systems
- Experience in systems programming in C, C++ or Rust
- Experience with script languages such as bash, or Python
- Willingness to learn new security technologies
- Experience with containers, K8S, CI/CD
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English
What you can expect
- Meaningful work: Our products and solutions connect people in over 170 countries, serving more than one third of the world’s population.
- Enormous investments in research, development and innovation: Huawei invests over 10% of its revenues in research and development, which enhances our competitiveness while driving industry and technology.
- Team spirit: At Huawei, we are proud of a strong social integration. Doors are open, and people collaborate with each other in a constructive and solution oriented manner.
- International work environment: Our business language is English and our team comprises unique experts from around 50 different countries.
- Robust growth across all business segments, thanks to balanced global presence and strategic focus.
If you are enthusiastic to shape the Munich Research Center together with us, with a very high level of technical innovation, being part of a multicultural team and growing environment, feel free to contact us.
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.